The Heartsaver Pediatric First Aid Course is designed to prepare people to provide CPR, First Aid and an AED in a safe, timely, and effective manner. The course goals include cognitive and psychomotor objectives. This course is for people with limited or no medical training that need a credential in Pediatric First Aid and is recommended for day care providers, babysitters, teachers, Preschool teachers, coaches, youth group leaders, camp counselors, expecting mothers and others responsible for infants and children. Anyone needing or desiring a Heartsaver Pediatric First Aid Course completion card can take this course. Course is taught by lecture, video and student participation.
- First Aid steps for medical, injury, and environmental emergencies.
- Recognition of pediatric emergency situations.
- Review of the causes of cardiopulmonary arrest in children and infants ranging from choking, suffocation and drowning to traumatic injuries.
- Optional topics include eye injuries, fevers, snake/spider bites, suspected abuse. Use of an AED for victims >1 year of age.
- Asthma care training for child care providers
- Learn hands-on with a manikin for one person to administer CPR to one adult, child, and infant.
- Identification of the signs and symptoms of airway obstruction including proper procedures to dislodge and expel foreign objects.
- Administration of an epinephrine pen.
- Bleeding control.
- Home safety review to child-proof your housing.
- Recognition of potential S.I.D.S. situations and appropriate action.
- Course meets the requirements for Pediatric First Aid with CPR, certification valid for two years.
- Course meets State Certification requirements for Day Care Providers for all 50 states.
- Course length is approximately 5-6 hours and student must successfully pass a skills evaluation on a manikin.
- Heartsaver Pediatric First Aid Student Workbook (80-1001) with Heartsaver Student CD
Heartsaver Pediatric First Aid Quick Reference Guide (80-1002)*
- Upon completion of this course, students receive an American Heart Association Heartsaver First Aid Course Completion Card that is valid for two years.